Oct 7, 2013

ode to oats

The weather is gracing us with some cool crisp mornings and evenings. The night temperatures have finally lowered enough to open the windows at night. This morning I woke up to a breeze brushing across my face and the sunrise peering through our window. We have an amazing view of downtown from our bedroom window.. except that blasted telephone pole. Whenever I look out to admire the view I always imagine myself going out there with an axe and chopping this pole down. And to top off a beautiful Monday morning, Lincoln slept in. When you have a baby that wakes up like clock-work, those peaceful moments of silence in the morning are golden. I came downstairs to enjoy my breakfast that was waiting for me. Even better. My overnight oats were in the fridge calling my name.

This will be a staple breakfast this month for Ryan and I in all it's variety. Best thing, I can make enough for a few days and all we have to do is grab it out of the fridge and our healthy breakfast just got easy. My pretty pictures can't do it justice.
Here's one of many overnight oats recipes to come: Blueberry Coconut Overnight Oats. Super original name huh? Ha, I'll work on something more creative.

vegan Blueberry Coconut Overnight Oats
Mason jars with lids ( I prepare 4 for the week with wide mouth pint jars)
1 cup Oats 1 cup
1 1/4 cup Almond Coconut Milk 1 1/4 cup
Blueberries as much as your heart desires
Shredded Unsweetened Coconut as much as your heart desires
2 tablespoons Agave 
Vanilla- a dash---yes, that's how I measure things around here
flax & chia seeds- optional

You'll have to experiment but this is what I use. I put a little more agave in Ryan's, of course, with his flax and chia seeds too. And you can adjust milk if you like it more runny. Add it all in your jar, stir, put on lid, and place in fridge overnight. Bam! Easy peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment