Jun 20, 2012

cinnamon rolls for the birthday boy

Well, yesterday was the ole' husband's birthday.
The big kahuna, the big 2-8.

I wanted to make him a special treat. I remember one year for his birthday, the first time I thought I'd step out of my comfort zone, I baked him a blueberry pie. Store bought crust and canned blueberry filling. Man I thought I was so awesome.
I found these precious babies from The Urban Poser and had to HAD TO make them. I've been off of Paleo for only 3 days and every day I've felt disgustingly piggish. Yes, that's exactly how I've felt.
And there was some hesitation making Ryan's birthday treat Paleo style but they were made with love and that makes up for it right? Actually, he liked them. And it wasn't like, "Yah they're good, thanks". This is what he said, and I memorized it word for word because this time I really did feel awesome. "Wow! These taste really good! You should be so proud of yourself! You have become such a good cook. I bet they're really healthy and have zucchini or something in them, and they still taste really good!"

Oh Ryan. Stop it....Ok go on and tell me again. :)
And F.Y.I there is no zucchini in them. Here's the recipe to see for yourself. :) I dare you to make them. First time making cinnamon rolls and they were STELLAR! The directions may seem tedious but it's worth it. And if you just so happen to have a fort set up in your living room, eat them inside your fort like us. They taste better that way. ENJOY!




For the biscuit rolls
3 cups plus 2 Tbls super fine almond flour
1/2 tsp salt (or just slightly under that amount)
1/4 tsp baking soda
*2 tbs cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil (or oil of choice)
2 Tbls honey
2 large room temp eggs

For the filling
1/4-1/2 cup honey (depending on how much sweetness you like)
1- 2 Tbls ground cinnamon
1/2 cup ground pecans/walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
*I sprinkled some shredded coconut in filling as well
 
 
For the icing
1/4 cup coconut butter at room temp
optional honey for drizzling
(keep both separate for drizzling or you will get thick paste)


Directions: Preheat oven to 350

In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt and baking soda * I added 2 tbs of cinnamon to give cinnamon flavor in actual dough. In a seperate bowl, gently beat together the coconut oil, honey, and eggs. If the eggs are too cold, they might cause the coconut oil to harden. Add the egg mixture to the almond flour mixture. Mix (knead) until a decently smooth dough is formed.
 
 
On a large piece of parchment paper, roll the dough out into about a 9x13 rectangle. Use a little almond flour, if needed, to keep it from sticking to the rolling pin. Drizzle the 1/4-1/2 cup of honey evenly over the dough, then carefully spread it around to cover the whole surface. Honestly, I use my fingers to do this. I find that I am less likely to tear the dough this way. Sprinkle the raisins, grounds pecans, cinnamon and *shredded coconut over the surface of the honeyed dough.
 
 
Now your ready to roll it up! Starting at the end closest to you, begin to roll the edge of the dough away from you. Try to start a tight roll from the beginning. Continue rolling until you have a nice uniform log. Use the parchment paper to help you roll if needed. Be gentle and careful when rolling up the dough. It is not as workable as a gluten based flour would be. Now roll the whole log of dough gently, lengthening it out just a bit (like making a snake out of play-dough). It is a good size when it is about a 4 in ch round log.
 
 
With a good bread knife, cut the roll into about 2 inch thick slices. I use the width of two fingers as my guide. Then lay them cut side down on to a parchment lined cookie sheet. They do best spaced a few inches apart, but not connected.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 min. I suggest staying close to the stove and checking a few times while they are baking, as everyone's oven cooks a bit differently. The rolls should be golden with a little browning at the top and the dough toward the center of the roll should be soft but not to doughy. If they bake too long they WILL become like hockey pucks! If cooked just right though, they will be heavenly.

When ready, remove from oven and let cool for 10 min. If you try to move them before then, they might break up. But if you wait for them to cool they will hold together beautifully.Drizzle with coconut butter and/or honey just before serving.Makes about 9-10 cinnamon rolls. *Note, these are gluten free so they are more like biscuits.

1 comment:

  1. OMGGG these look divine. Look at you, Miss Betty Crocker!! This makes me want to bake :)

    ReplyDelete