May 21, 2012

Paleo Banana Almond Bread

For those of you who don't follow my moms fb page with her frequent posts of how much she LOVES crossfit, well, here's an update on what her and I have been up to.
We joined a crossfit gym 2 weeks ago and are both in love!!!!!....... I'm talking about the gym here but we love each other too of course. This next month they gym is doing a Paleo diet challenge. I'm not one to go on a "diet" and I DESPISE that word because the word diet makes me think of.... "i can't eat that, I can't eat this, I can't eat there blah blah blah."
My philosphy is to just eat as simple as possible and enjoy food in it's most basic form. But, I'm always up for a new challenge and so is my mom so we signed up for the month long Paleo challenge. I won't even get in to what it entails but the basics are this: lean meats and fish, fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Yep. there's the basics. This next month I'll be dreaming of cereal and frozen yogurt. HOWEVER, in the mean time I'll be sharing some Paleo recipes. If you're interested, here are some blogs and sites on the Paleo diet. And here's my first recipe that I made last night for breakfast today with some fresh berries. :) What is the Paleo Diet?

Banana Almond Bread
3 eggs, separated
5 tbs raw honey
4 tbs olive oil
2 mashed bananas
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 c. almond flour

Heat oven 350 degrees.
Cream eggs yolks and honey in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add oil, vanilla, banana, cinnamon, baking powder, and flour.
In separate bowl, beat egg whites till stiff peaks. Fold egg whites into banana mixture to pull it away from sides before gradually folding the rest of the whites into the mix.
Line loaf pan with olive or coconut oil.
Cook 40-45 minutes.
wheatfreeandglutenfreebreadrecipe.blogspot.com



So how's the bread? Heavenly. I didn't know what to expect with almond flour but I like the taste and texture it adds. My biff, Karn, came over and tried some. She hates raw bananas but doesn't mind bananas when theyre used in baking goods so this was the real test. She took a bite and what seemed like on over exaggerated liking at first, was actually a sincere genuine love. She only wanted a small bite at first because we were leaving for lunch, but she went over and cut herself some more. She then told me about a friend who claims to have the best banana bread recipe, but clearly this banana almond bread was a gazillion times better. Ok, she didn't say a gazillion but that's what I took from it. I love when I make something and people really enjoy it. SUCCESS with first paleo recipe!

Also, I gave some to the hubby for breakfast as he was walking out the door. I did smear some butter on his because, although he's trying to eat healthier, I try to ease him into it slowly so there isn't a relapse involving sugar babies and Heath bars. Last night he old me he liked the bread but if he were to change one thing it would be... (I'm holding back tears and bracing myself to take constructive criticism I'm not really wanting to hear).... To NOT put butter on it. He preferred it without butter? Double success!

6 comments:

  1. Time & temp for muffins? Can't wait to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. You must have missed it in the ingredients section. 350 for about 40 minutes. Check them around 35. Let me know how you liked them!

      Delete
  2. Can I sub equal amounts of all purpose flour? I know it wont be paleo, but I do not have almond flour on hand. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i haven't tried it with AP flour but I'm sure it would still be fine. The texture may be different but it shouldn't alter the taste drastically. Let me know what you find out!

      Delete
  3. Do you know the amount of carbohydrates in each serving?

    ReplyDelete