Jun 8, 2012

a rough night but the pork helped


Last night was a little on the rough side.

From the point AFTER we had a fabulous dinner (recipe below) to the moment we went to sleep. I had a church event I was originally planning on attending but in lieu of buying a new car, I had to skip out to go see a car we were interested in. On our drive out, the seller canceled on us last minute. DOH! From that point on, I was a 'little' cranky the rest of the night. To my defense, and yes I will try and defend my irritable behavior, the night before I got 2 1/2 hours of sleep. Seriously, no exaggeration. (Watch, I'll prove it by telling you times) I didn't go to bed until 1am that night and when the hubby got up at 3:30 for work, I never fell back asleep. Let's just say, last night around 7pm I was doing everything I could to keep those eyelids open. It probably worked out that I didn't make the pool party. I would have been the one sleeping on the raft in the pool and everyone would be poking me to see if I was breathing....

Vegas baby, Vegas!
Well, today, the hubby and I are taking off to Vegas with my little brother and his friend. My lil bro just graduated from high school and he's going to a three-day music festival. You can imagine my parents weren't the most thrilled about him going to Vegas for a senior trip, which is why Ryan and I tagging along. We aren't going to the music festival, we're just there to make sure they stay alive for the weekend. We're taking off this afternoon and we'll just be enjoying the"cooler" 90 degree weather by the pool and I will be doing some shopping :)

Before the lack of sleep had the worst of me last night, we did have a stellar dinner. We actually sat down together, TV off, and talked about our day and plans for the weekend. We've always been really good at eating dinner together at the table but have slacked these past few months. We've never had TV before but now watching the news and talking about how crazy people are during dinner has become the norm.

Anyway, I think, no wait, I know, this is the first time we've made pork chops. Almost 4 years of being married and we've never cooked pork chops. But, i got a killer deal on them yesterday (99cents/lb) so we'll be eating quite a bit of pork in the next few months.

Here's last nights dinner. :)

Paleo Almond and Herb Crusted Pork Chops and Roasted Carrots

recipes via easy paleo
Paleo Almond and Herb Crusted Pork Chops
4 pork chops
1/2 cup of almond meal
3 tbs italian seasonings
sea salt and pepper

Spread a little coconut oil on the chops.
Mix seasonings together and spread on a plate.
Firmly pack almond herb mixture to chops and set aside for 10 minutes
or coating will slip off during cooking.
Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes or internal temp reaches 160.
Make sure to flip chops around the 30 minute mark.

*i needed more than the 1/2 cup almond meal because our chops were big! We also ended up frying them in a pan with some coconut oil so if you're not able to bake them, you can easily do the stove top method. :)

Roasted Carrots
carrots
oil
cilantro, finely chopped
sea salt and pepper
garlic, minced

Either use prepackaged baby carrots or small full carrots. I found these small skinny full carrots that were so cute, i just could chop them up into smaller pieces.
Lightly coat with olive oil or coconut oil.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20.
While baking, add finely chopped cilantro, garlic, salt/pepper, and just enough oil to make a little glaze you can pour of carrots.
Remove from oven and pour mixture over carrots.
Bake for another 5 minutes.


EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

4 comments:

  1. Cute blog! Love how it looks like a paper! New follower from wiegand hop. Love for you to follow back when you get a chance.

    Julie @ Naptime Review
    http://naptimeshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy!!! I hope you all have a good, safe and fun time at the music festival!!! It's nice of you and your husband to go along so that your parents aren't worried about your brother being in Las Vegas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog through The Editorial! My name is Elizabeth (obvi) and my BF's name is Ryan! Too funny :) Love what I've read from your blog so far!

    Elizabeth
    http://fearlessandfrugal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had roast carrots. I can't wait to try that. I am now following, and found you via 'Aloha Friday' blog hop. If you have a chance stop by and visit me at http://thebargaingame.blogspot.com/
    Have a great day!
    Angela
    P.S. Your bracelet is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete